Friday, February 26, 2010

Shifting Views of Consumption

Ok, so I have been pleasantly pleased and disgusted at the same time this week.
Between Brian suggesting that I watch Super Size Me to help curb my addiction to McDonalds, Alex pointing out research showing some good things Walmart is doing, and Dom mentioning big business using alternative energy, I am juggling preconceived notions with tidbits of "Really?!"
I had already sworn off Mickey D's for a couple of months now, and before that I had drastically limited my Golden Arches diet already: I went from eating anything they came up with, to only eating off of the breakfast menu, to only consuming the hash-browns and Coca-Cola.
For a long time, I have noticed that McDonald's Coke tastes sooooooo much better than anywhere else. However, that is a thing of the past as high-fructose corn syrup is cut out in all forms now...
Then I watched Super Size Me, and let me say, I WAS eating during the film. Bad idea. I used to joke that the film made me want to go to McDonalds, just to playfully get under the skin of my more activist friends. At that point, I had never seen the movie, and now I can barely even look at the sign: my mother drove me to the airport yesterday and she began to make a right-hand turn into the McDonalds in order to expedite the overall traveling process. She was only doing what she thought was right as far as what Jeff liked to eat. Being in my early morning zombie-like state, I kind of snapped at her about never eating there again. I felt bad, but we both talk about eating habits more now so it worked out. Just as Alex mentioned in her post about being pleased at her parent's local eating habits, my mother had long ago made the switch, minus a few things. I also had the chance to re-watch Food, Inc., which is a great movie in my opinion. Industrial farming is huge in Kentucky and elsewhere in the region so it hit home (no pun intended).
What is really interesting about the Walmart's of the world (Jeff speak for big corporations in general) taking on greener practices is that people are starting to take this stuff seriously. We covered this issue in Susan's Environmental Justice course last semester: is it a good or a bad thing that big companies are "green-washing" when they market themselves? I personally think as long as they are backing up their claims, who cares WHY they started acting more environmentally responsible. All this stuff is making me think seriously about environmental law; attempting to hold big business responsible for their actions sounds like hard work and an incredible adventure.
I am open for suggestions on other films and documentaries, one of my greatest joys is watching movies!
Until next time...

2 comments:

  1. Jeffrey,

    Below is a quick and dirty list of food-related documentaries which I have found very powerful:

    Earthlings (2003) - Watching this film requires fortitude, but it changed the way I view our species. The film explores our relationship to animals with a spiritual slant. It left me with the question: When you know how animals suffer to provide your dinner, shoes, or entertainment (as well as for "research" or companionship), what will you (consumer) do about it? While I am certain that some of the examples are not the norm, it is nearly impossible to know the degree to which torture occurred to bring you a product. My conclusion is that there is nothing I need THAT badly. Seeing the film inspired Montreal Canadiens hockey player Georges Laraque to become a vegan. (The January 2010 issue of Vegetarian Times shows Georges sporting a "McCruelty...I'm hatin' it" t-shirt.)

    http://www.earthlings.com/

    The Future of Food (2004) - This film explains (more powerfully than Food, Inc. IMHO) how corporations have come to manipulate and monopolize the agriculture industry and food supply. There is a focus on Monsanto ("Monsatan" to some) and how their infiltration of regulatory agencies, production of toxic chemicals, and ownership of seeds has been damaging to the environment, human health, and freedom. This is the most powerful argument in support of backyard gardens, small farms, and organic foods I have ever seen.

    http://www.thefutureoffood.com/

    Flow: For the Love of Water (2008) - Understanding our water supply seems to go hand in hand with understanding our food supply. This film provides a global perspective on water, including the vanishing clean water supply, the control of the water supply by corporations, the damage to the environment caused by dams, and the harmful impact of the World Bank to the countries it set up to help.

    http://www.flowthefilm.com/

    Blue Gold: World Water Wars (2009) - The two films (Flow & Blue Gold) provide a most comprehensive exploration of issues related to our water supply. Though they are very similar, each provides unique information. I strongly recommend watching both.

    http://www.bluegold-worldwaterwars.com/

    Best,

    Kim Anthony

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also felt totally sick after watching Super Size Me for the first time a few months ago, even though it has been many moons since I ate at McDonald's! A handful of times in the last few years when we were traveling and there were no other options. One time I insisted on getting a salad to eat in the car...while I was driving. Kinda tricky. :-) Even in my high school days I remember disliking McDonald's--we had to stop there once on a theater trip to Oregon and just the smell of the place made me ill. I think I ordered the yogurt parfait.

    Great that you are able to discuss this with your mom, Jeff! And awesome that you are challenging yourself to look closer at old habits.

    ReplyDelete