Friday, February 12, 2010

Week Two

OK, so this week I couldn't help but think about what Alex was saying during the January intensive about voting with your purchases. I have taken that to heart for the most part. I drink mainly water now, with the occasional glass of tea (not always local, but sometimes) or coffee (not at all local: Cafe Du Monde chickory coffee from New Orleans, my favorite). I still eat my oh-so-healthy bacon and eggs breakfast. I am using free-range eggs from Kentucky, so I don't feel to bad about it! I have noticed that I am conserving more food: I don't stuff my face considering the price tag on my less-than-usual batch of groceries this month.
Here is where I really disappointed myself, and what I meant by voting through consuming. My work boots, which I have been able to depend upon for almost two years of outdoor labor, literally fell apart at the seams Tuesday morning. NOT GOOD, a foot and a half of snow (I know, New Englanders right now would scoff considering the pummeling that have received lately) and wet socks made for a miserable morning on the farm. Now, in his part of semi-rural Kentucky, you have very few choices as far as shopping. I seriously needed new work boots and on my lunch break I went to Frankfort, about 20 miles from Midway. Literally the only place that carried waterproof, steel toe work boots was UGGH, Walmart. Yes, this week I "voted" for Walmart boots. I am not a happy camper, as I have done a great job boycotting Walmart even before this semester started.
Anyhow, I have decided to take a break from the bourbon, as I spent this weekend on my "buy local soap box," preaching to all my friends about how well this local thing was going for me. I did not feel as cool the next morning as I did when I was consuming the local devil water however.
My family is being overtly supportive of my efforts: being a good southern family, I receive some new locally made dish literally every other day. Way more food than I can eat, of course. The key to a man's heart is through his stomach, and I feel the love!
I have started drinking kombucha, but have no intentions on making it. (I will leave that up to Brynn and Ben!)
Like Mel, I have struggled with the high fructose corn syrup. I have avoided it surprisingly well, but still have the Coke withdrawals. In the cafeteria today at work, I stared down the soda fountian, to the point that people were looking at me funny. I settled on water.
The last of the locally grown carrots went into the mouth of the horse my grandmother donated to the equestrian program. I don't know who she spoiled worse, me or the four-legged big baby that snatched the carrot and walked off without saying thank you! Haha
I need to start including pictures....
This week: successfully fixed breakfast and dinner, leaving lunch to the Midway College cafeteria. Supported the evil empire (just kidding for those who like Walmart). Overdrank locally.
Next week, figure out what I am going to do with all this extra food...

2 comments:

  1. Well, it's sometimes impossible to vote for the thing you know is right when that options isn't available- I've been lucky in that I have been living in a place where we don't have a lot of the "bad" options (ie, Walmart), so I've been forced to buy from "good" options, giving them my money-vote

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, what are we (big WE) supposed to do when the option we'd like to take just isn't available? I love your post, Jeff, because it shows how complex UEC really is, how hard "the system" makes it for us to choose sustainably. For me, it calls into question the emphasis on making it each individual's responsibility to "go green" rather than a bigger structural shift that needs to take place. Or maybe just that *both* need to happen in order to achieve lasting change.

    ReplyDelete