Sunday, February 7, 2010

Live Poultry Fresh Killed!

So, I'm off to a rocky start on my new skill. I'm having a hard time finding one, although I think I might use Miss Alex as a resource to start growing my own herbs.  I've been told that they are easier to grow for first-timers.  This week, I've dabbled with cooking with local chicken from "Live Poultry Fresh Killed" down the street from my house.  We purchased several pounds of chicken breast for a pretty inexpensive amount.  The difficulty I have found is the effort required to locate local food.  


I've been looking at their website, and I noticed that I can't see where the meat actually comes from... The Mayflower Poultry Company was apparently founded in 1932 in the North End.  The shop by my house was established in 1945, and has been here ever since.  Their meat is "all-natural" which means no animal byproducts and no antibiotics are used.  I'm interested in finding out more about this establishment. 


I proposed to Logan that those of us who live in the area should get together once a week and cook a meal that consists of locally grown food.  I haven't heard much on that front, but I think it would be a good idea for those of us who have limited funds.  

Honestly, I can't yet see how cooking with local food, while it supports local business, will make too much difference in my life.  We shall see as I get closer to my routine physical date and maybe I will see a difference in ways that I can't necessarily see. :)

2 comments:

  1. Mel,

    Ironically, I wrote about this store in my college admission essay. It's definitely a Cambridge landmark, even for a vegetarian. I have no experience with eating anything from inside ... but I think local meat is a great idea.

    Another, more long-term option, might be to share a meat share with someone. This one has a local drop-off/delivery:

    http://www.localharvest.org/csa/M18308

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's interesting, Melanie, that you state that you're not sure what difference eating locally will make in your life. I think that's the rub. It probably won't make a huge difference in YOUR life. But what about the larger implications? For example, will it have positive impacts on the lives of local farmers? What about ecological and sustainability implications? I think you've spot-on identified a major obstacle to environmental behavior change --- the "what's in it for me?" argument. In reality, there may not always be anything in it "for me," but does that make it any less worth doing?

    ReplyDelete