Sunday, February 21, 2010

All My Dad's Farmer Friends

I went to the Grand Army Plaza farmer's market on Saturday with my Dad, who is now retired and volunteers at the market. One of the most striking things about the market is the strong community ties between the people who work there and the customers.


I met all of my dad's farmer friends, including the Flying Pigs guy, the Mycomedicinal (Mushroom) guy (who is my favorite and grows an incredible range of different mushrooms and gave me some red popcorn kernels just because he is a nice person) and the turkey guy. In fact, everyone there has their own interesting special varieties of food we thought we knew well (blue potatoes, purple carrots, yellow and purple broccoli).


Despite the weather (windy, freezing), there were a lot of people shopping and hanging out. People bring their dogs and kids and they run around, having a good time. I know that the stands are in it for the business, but there's also a lot of food that gets given away- kids get free things and dogs get scraps of things and often, if you go there frequently, they'll just say, "you can pay next time," if you know them really well.


I bought a lot of these Brussels sprouts, because they are incredibly delicious. You cut them in half, brown the cut side and then add in some garlic, and cook in equal parts vegetable broth and white wine. My mom always hated Brussels sprouts as a kid, so I never had them until a few months ago and now I have them a couple of times a week- they're delicious and seasonally appropriate for the winter. I brought them back up to Cambridge with me, so they're not totally local. I also have delicious apple-sage sausage from Flying Pigs. Yum!

3 comments:

  1. I've always loved Brussels sprouts and will try to prepare them using your recipe. Typically, I lightly brush them with olive oil and bake them. They make the apartment smell really bad, so lately I've been trending towards asparagus and collard greens.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I only discovered Brussels sprouts a few years ago and they immediately became my favorite winter comfort food. After sauteing, I like to add toasted walnuts and dried cranberries or cherries, then a drizzle of agave nectar. Served over black rice, this is a killer meal for a cold night!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! We should have a Brussels sprouts party and try all these different delicious preparations. I've also had grated Brussels sprout salad with lemon juice and cheese (also grated), which was excellent!

    ReplyDelete