Monday, February 15, 2010

Eating Out

This week, perhaps through my inability to cook, I've ventured to seek out restaurants in my area.  I've eaten at several different places, most of which I have frequented in the past.

The first, was a Chinese food restaurant around the corner from my house.  It has your basic Chinese-American entrees but at Unique Food, they pride themselves on preparing healthier food.  The paper place-mats had the Chinese Zodiac printed in color. The paper napkins had a small, colored piece of paper neatly wrapped around it.  My chopsticks were disposable bamboo in a paper wrapper.  After our meal, I politely asked where the meat and produce come from, and the owner advised me that their food is delivered from a distribution company. They did not believe their food to be local.  They have a rather large poultry and pork selection, but it would be interesting to see what would happen to their business if they utilized the poultry shop only blocks away.

The second restaurant, one which my friends and I tend to drive to, is a diner-style deli.  They do have a bakery and sell their own bread.  However, it appears that most of their food comes in generic containers from lord knows where.  The employees at this establishment don't know where the food comes from, but this restaurant has been around for many decades.  I don't doubt that it had once used local resources, but cost would no doubt drive them to use cheaper food sources.

The third restaurant, is literally around the corner from my house, on the corner in fact.  They don't sell any local wines.  Their food is amazing, rich, and cholesterol-inducing, but surprisingly much of their produce is not local and neither are the meats.

After eating out this week, in my search for local food, I was sadly disappointed that the local restaurants aren't utilizing the seafood market or poultry market in the neighborhood.  I think this could be a great way of promoting community. And, yes, I am still awake.

3 comments:

  1. I like that you asked the people in the restaurants if they use local food. Even if you get a non-committal answer, it's cool to start that conversation. Sometimes I just assume that places aren't using local products, but I wonder what would happen if we all started asking about it wherever we ate? Could we (and the wave of others who are into this) create a tipping point?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mel:

    Do you know if the neighborhood seafood and poultry markets are carrying local seafood and poultry? I also wonder about the ingredients used at the second restaurant's in-house bakery.

    Just curious,

    Kim Anthony

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's a campaign here in the UK for restaurant diners to ask whenever they eat whether the eggs a restaurant uses are free-range. I think you are right, Brynn, that until we as consumers start demanding certain products, it will be business as usual. Mel, your post also points to the irony of the economics of food production. It is probably easier and much cheaper for the restaurants to get their food shipped in from unknown locales than it is to purchase locally.

    ReplyDelete