Sunday, February 14, 2010

Good eats

This weekend, I had great local lobster from around Portland, Maine, about 100 miles away. I might have to add more fish to my diet since it is relatively easier to verify that it is indeed local, as compared to verifying the origins of beef, pork or chicken.

I have been doing well without high fructose corn syrup, not drinking Coke and reading the labels and being more aware of the ingredients in the food I purchase. Still on my local honey kick. I had awesome locally made honey wine at an Ethiopian restaurant in Somerville, MA this evening.

4 comments:

  1. Seafood is definitely one way of eating local in New England, but then you also have to bear in mind the sustainability of the critters you choose to eat! Lobster is a pretty sustainable choice, from everything I read. Do you think some of the campaigns to raise awareness of which types of fish to eat and not eat are changing behaviors?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brian,

    Thank you for your post. I looked into the environmental defense fund campaign website and learned some interesting information on their rating system. I think that campaigns such as this do change people's behaviors about what kind of fish is safe to eat, properly managed and kind to aquatic life. I like the rating system that EDF has "eco-best", "eco-ok" and "eco-worst" I am glad to see that EDF rates Maine lobster as "eco-ok"

    ReplyDelete
  3. It might be interesting, Meghan, to do a literature search using some of the article databases on the Lesley library website to see if anyone has done any research on the effectiveness of this types of campaigns. It's one thing for us to think they change behaviors, but can we actually establish that they do change them...

    ReplyDelete