Tuesday, February 23, 2010

A Photo Essay on English Muffins

Charlie punched down the dough and helped cut out the muffins before their second rise. Since we made salt-dough Christmas ornaments, he knew all about balling up the extra dough and rolling it out again, but ... he was most excited to be "doing a project" with me.

Bronwyn did her bit by playing with her IKEA abacus while rockin' her Led Zepplin onesie (one of her many hand-me-downs = up-cycling).

Cornmeal-dusted english muffins ready to rise again. Ironically, even with gourmet ingredients ... these things still cost much less than Thomas's.

Yum! The smell of cooking griddle cakes is over-powering my kitchen, even in my dreams.

Success! My three-year-old eating a fresh made English muffin from his mom's kitchen. Full disclosure: He hasn't eaten one from his school lunch box yet.

I stored the rest in a ziploc (re-used from baby food storage) and they stayed nice and fresh--and creamy!!--at room temperature for almost a week. More full disclosure: I am not sure if they'd last longer because we ate every last one.

4 comments:

  1. I want one! When I lived in Killington, VT my friend went to Norwich Academy which is the same town as King Arthur Flour is, and they used to make the best breads I think I've ever had!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you notice a large cost differential in making your own vs. buying a pack at the store? I'm sure having a family you go through food much faster when you are feeding more mouths, for me cost is a huge factor. I must say I have NO baking supplies in the house besides flour. (from VT..and I've had it for a few years, show's you how often I don't bake.)So I would have to start from scratch getting all the ingredients, but I was just wondering about your personal experiences with cost.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This recipe makes the equivalent of 3 Thomas's packages and costs less once you have the griddle. Required baking supplies are just a pack of yeast, water, butter, milk, flour, and some cornmeal + a rolling pin and the griddle.

    I wrote a previous post with the recipe.

    I am jealous of your friend's baking classes: 2hrs is just too far for me to drive right now for that.

    ReplyDelete