Thursday, February 4, 2010

Doggy Bag Do-Gooder

Wasteful packaging challenge—go! I faced my first opportunity to say no while finishing up dinner at Busboys & Poets (one of the coolest restaurants in Arlington). How to transport home the second wedge of my super savory tempeh-roasted pepper-grilled onion sandwich? Styrofoam box? Plastic carton? Or the cocktail napkins under our water glasses?


The oil that soaked through the napkins and into my purse while we went to the movies (Crazy Heart=awesome) encouraged me to think about ways to make eating out a little more sustainable. I could think ahead and bring a zip top bag or my own reusable container to stealthily stow any leftovers. Or maybe it’s time to break down and spend the 7 bucks for one of these washable sandwich pouches (or $9 to get one made in the US!).


When I got home I did transfer my sandwich to some aluminum foil. And I added the disintegrating napkins to my pile of the day’s packaging waste. As I eyed the (surprisingly artful) pile, two particular pieces of trash jumped out at me—an enormous juice container and a Cliff Bar wrapper (one of about a dozen consumed in my household every week). Can I find a way to enjoy these yummy foods while avoiding that decidedly unsustainable packaging? I can’t wait to try.

4 comments:

  1. Brynn,

    Thank you for taking time yesterday to speak with me and other potential candidates to the UEL program. I am not sure how you can avoid the Cliff Bar packaging while still enjoying the oh-so-yummy Cliff Bar. However, the link below is an idea for reusing the packaging and raising money for the worthy cause of your choice simultaneously.

    http://www.terracycle.net/products/9-Clif-Bar-Wrapper-Holiday-Bow

    Nice blog!

    Kim Anthony

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wonder if you could make something out of them. For example did you ever see those trendy purses made from old capri sun packages, or rice bags. I think they had one at greenward, and it was around $65.00. There may be a market for it :)

    P.S. I am actually liking this assignment because I can see the places in VA where you get to go.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the visual of your garbage for the day. What a great way to really see the impacts of our consumer choices. It might be interesting to document your trash on a daily basis for an entire week, and then finished with a photo of the week's haul all put together.

    One thing that your post made me think of is the ridiculous portion sizes we get at restaurants. For some reason, restaurants seem to think that I'll be impressed by being served more food. In reality, I appreciate it when a restaurant serves reasonable portions that don't leave me feeling stuffed and don't require me to request a plastic, styrofoam and/or paper to-go container.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cool ideas, Liz and Kim. I have wondered about those purses made from wrappers--has anyone seen one being toted around in the real world? Has "trash couture" really become cool or is it just the advertising?

    Brian--maybe I will do that and keep all my trash one week. The day I did this I realized how easy it is to just pop open the trash can and toss things inside without thinking. Each time I set one of these pieces of trash aside I had to actually look at it and accept its place in my life. There really is no "away" in which to throw these things!

    ReplyDelete