Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Hello, Dream Store

While tootling around the blogosphere I discovered this amazing grocery store called Unpackaged. Everything comes totally packageless (opposite of the foods currently in my cupboards!)—from the classic bulk foods like dried fruit and nuts, to products that are usually smothered in plenty of layers of plastic and cardboard like toothbrushes and “Biodegradable Nappies & Baby Wipes.”

They have any spice you could ask for, cacao nibs and goji berries, carrot cakes and fudge, organic yogurt and hummus, salads, cheeses, even wine! And it all comes without wasteful packaging. You bring your containers of choice from home and the friendly people at Unpackaged fill them up with delectable treats, all without the eco-guilt. I am so jealous of the Londoners who get to make this place their everyday food shop.

Since I’m not lucky enough to have such a dream store in my city, I think I need to take on the challenge proposed by Bea of The Zero Waste Home (shared with us by Myriah): refuse! How many times have I kept my mouth shut when the cashier at Rite Aid automatically puts my single nail file and mini box of cold medicine in a cavernous plastic bag? Somehow I feel like I’m going to offend them if I say no thanks to the bag after they’ve already taken it off the rack and fluffed it out. And part of me is afraid they’ll think I’m a judgmental eco-snob by refusing to take a bag.

Huh? Writing this now, I realize how crazy this is! Why is it so hard to say no to this stuff? I haven’t even gotten to the point where I’m passing up wine at a party because the host is serving it in disposable cups (the Zero Waste lady does this!). But I like this added wrinkle to the problem of consumption. I think it will help me think harder about what I actually need, as well as what I genuinely want. If avoiding waste means planning ahead, it also means less immediate gratification. I don’t think our culture could hurt to tamp that down a little. What if one day, after sidling up to a cafĂ© table, the server asks, “What would you like to drink?” and the next question isn’t about appetizers, but rather, “Where’s your cup?”

2 comments:

  1. I had the same plastic bag experience last week at the local Co-Op. I said no thanks to the plastic bag (mainly due to the same situation: one item placed into a bag needlessly) and I was overly praised by the cashier and the bagging clerk. It was to the point of patronizing. It is nice that they were supportive, but no need to throw a party over me not wanting a plastic bag on my book....I guess it is still that much of a shock to people

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too feel like I am offending the cashiers at the store when I say I don't want a bag. They look at me like I have 3 holes in my head! Hello, I have this purse like thing here, tons of pockets and two able hands to carry my stuff in. I get it alot in JP where most of the stores by my house English is not necessarily their first language. My boyfriend has told me it seems bitchy. I'd rather be a bitch than be oozing in plastic bags.

    ReplyDelete