Wednesday, February 24, 2010

local fish


Hello everyone!
Ok so last wed I went in for surgery. Last tuesday I had a feast. My boyfriend and I made this low fat/garlic/shrimp dish. I decided I'd actually buy the fish locally rather than buy a bag of frozen shrimp from Trader Joes. I went to Yankee Lobster Fish Market. sigh..I did not take the T, or ride my bike, but drove the smaller of our 2 suv's. (I know. I know. I was in a huge rush...)The shrimp was not that much more about 11 dollars from the market rather than 7 from TJ's. I asked the guy at the market where the shrimp came from, he looked at me with a blank look on his face.."um.. the ocean." Wow. thanks guy, I was wondering if they were from the Boston harbor or what? I asked another and they said probably Maine. Well some parts of Maine are within 150 miles. I guess I will have to settle for being less bad. It's hard to get to the bottom of where things are from unless you pluck them from the earth yourself. I also went to a cheese shop down by haymarket in search of some light cream. I asked for the most local I could find, but they were not sure, I did find some butter made out in Carlisle,MA and bought that. I don't even need butter. I rarely even use it, but it was locals so I bought it. HaHa maybe I greenwashed myself. But I then forced myself to buy some bread, from some shop in the North End, where it was made. So garlic bread and shrimpy pasta. While wondering back to my car, I found some wine that was made in Nantucket. I was on a roll. I was so local. Then I got home and realized I could not have wine if I was going under the knife the next day. I am still on 2 pain killers every 6 hours so it will be a while before I can enjoy my vino, but they say good things come to those who wait. As for my meals the rest of the week, 4 bags of fluid Iv from the hospital, chicken broth, and lime Popsicles, and plain blueberry waffles. And Jello Seth, my boyfriend bought the boxes of Jello instead of the ready made cups, which made me happy, but it was my guess that he just did not know that you could buy jello already made in the dairy isle. And bottle upon bottle of G2 gatorade and ginger ale. I'm not sure if they could be local, but I am fortunate enough that my boyfriend will go to the store at all hours and get one of those ingreadents I can't bare to tell him to get the biggest bottle to reduce packaging...etc. I'll work on that in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment