Monday, March 15, 2010

where's my shopping cart?


I want a shopping cart. I think it would be a good idea. I would never have to get a bag, or remember to bring my reusable bag, I’d just bring my cart and keep it in the car, so if I was going to take the T, its easy to bring its not huge. Think of all the food I could get at haymarket.

And really this type of cart is not a new “green” idea. They have been around forever. And I think that’s why I want one. Until I was about 7 years old my family lived in Jackson Heights, Queens. I remember my great aunt and I going out all the time to the park, and then the store, always take the cart. I had to hold a hand or hold the cart. Maybe I want one so bad because I remember taking the cart and getting to go to this toy store on Northern Blvd. But the point is, people have been using them forever. And in my perfect world, this is how you get people to use them. Charge for bags, plastic or paper it does not matter. To examples: Ikea and Whole Foods. At whole foods you save .05 cents if you bring your own bag. At Ikea they charge you for a bag. Now for some reason I can not pay 5 cents for a bag, I will carry all the things I buy at Ikea with no bag, I don’t want to pay. And yet at whole foods when I’m only saving 5 cents its not as tempting of an idea. I am wondering why stores don’t just charge for bags. It seems it would be the easiest way to get everyone on board, green or not. When you put a price on things people start to pay attention. Now I have to go buy a shopping cart.

1 comment:

  1. I remember so many people in Brooklyn having these carts too, from grandmas to hipsters. They truly crossed all boundaries of social groups!

    ReplyDelete