Wednesday, March 3, 2010

More tales from the Fridge: and other short stories

Coincidentally, just like Myriah, I recently went through the refridgerator. What I found behind my nice selection of local organic meat and other perishables in the freezor was various frozen items that were forgotten during my Kentucky food campaign. Luckily, they were all within expiration dates, but need to be eaten soon. So this week will be devoted to eating the food in the back of the freezer. Not local, but sustainable in that I will not be wasting. They are your average economy bags of chicken breasts, veggies, a couple steaks, and so on.
I also cleaned out the kitchen cabinets and stumbled upon all kinds of canned goods. I now have about a half and half mixture of local food and typical large brand groceries.
On the other hand, I came across localfirstlexington.com, a website for a non-profit that advocates local businesses and local foods. I found that a lot of my regular grazing spots were places that uses locally grown food. Some of the best barbecue in Lexington is right down the street from my mother's house and they get their meat from Kentucky pig farms. I am not sure if they are free-range or industrially grown, but local is a start.
Tonight I will be spending some time talking with my neighbor about starting a vegetable garden in the backyard; we live in a duplex, so we share not only a wall, but the yard as well. He grows his own tomatoes and sometimes peppers, so I want to team up with him and see if we can't get a decent yield out of either in ground crops or raised planter beds. Since it is a rental property, I don't to till up the ground too much, so it may have to be raised boxes. I have had my neighbors tomatoes, and they are incredibly juicy. I would like to be able to trade with him, and maybe get a gardening coalition going on the whole cul-de-sac. Behind some of the apartment buildings at the end of the street is a large open space. It is literally NEVER used; I have lived on this street for almost three years and I am one of three people who ever go back there. It would be a perfect opportunity for some guerilla gardening.....

1 comment:

  1. Jeff, what is great to see about this project is that you are actually CHANGING your behaviors. And from what I can read, it doesn't feel like it is because of any "assignment" or "requirement" for this course. What do you think it is that is getting you so fired up about this work? What is it that is leading you to change your behaviors?

    ReplyDelete