Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Meal Planning 101

This is the class I need. I realized this all over again after my dogma box arrived Friday afternoon. I did make risotto for my family--husband loved it, Charlie not so much--with two onions from the box. The apples were yummy, especially the earthy smell they had. I had to ask for help identifying the turnip and beets, a sobering experience. Am I such a grocery store junkie that when a box of food is dropped at my door without packaging, including no ID tags, I am unable to tell what to do with it?

Yes.

Wait! This is just another skill that I should not chastise myself for not having. We should not expect ourselves to be perfect at things we haven't practiced. We should revel in the identification and contemplation of those "missing bits" and put that energy wasted on guilt into learning.

I am getting out my cookbooks for my first lesson of meal planning 101. But first, google:

Save money and time with menu planning
at
Menus4Moms.com

Now with beautiful color pictures!

Save time and money with dinner menus for busy cooks

Have skyrocketing food prices got you down?

Have you ever gotten home from an expensive trip to the grocery store and realized you still don't have anything to make for dinner?

Have you tried to figure out where you can cut costs but just can't seem to find any extra in the budget?

Did you know that you can spend less money at the store and less time in the kitchen with one simple tool? In fact...

You can save up to 15 hours and $120 every month by shopping and cooking with a well-crafted menu plan every week.

Irony here is that planning will reduce cost to the planet in thrown away food (and its packaging) and to the consumer in reduced money. Urban communities need to step up and provide this information since its not in the grocery industry's best interest to suggest that its customers buy less. First step, mother's groups and college students, maybe even high schoolers.

4 comments:

  1. So are you going to try the planning method and see how it impacts your pocketbook and waste stream? It does make sense that better menu planning would cut down on waste, but it seems like another thing to add to an already long to-do list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am not sure I'll be able to do a precise quantification ... but I certainly can try cooking more from scratch or scratch-like ingredients. Dream big, right?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Weekend score card:

    Baked a chicken on Thursday + veggies + pasta for dinner (I had the veggies + pasta)

    Friday night was reheated chicken, potatoes + onions (Boston Organics) + salad from Meghan + wine + peas = happy Dan, happy Dom, happy Meghan, happy Charlie

    Saturday was baked mac and cheese with carrots, cauliflower and broccoli mixed in + Boston-area meat balls.

    Culmination: nice comment from Dan re: home-cooking and plans for more. Tomorrow = fish and carrot dish.

    ReplyDelete