Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Sustainable Agriculture

Hello All
I recently began reading the periodical Urban Farm: Sustainable City Living and I came across an interesting article entitled "P is for Prosper"by Debbie Moors about Will Allen, the urban gardening pioneer that has built an amazing organization around food justice called Growing Power, Inc in Milwaukee, WI. Check out the website at www.growingpower.org. His story is inspiring. This organization also holds national conferences that I may check out in one of the cities offered.

Anyways, this week I purchased Teddie Peanut butter, from a local company in Everett, MA, pita bread from Lawrence, MA and hummus from NH. I eat these three items at least four times a week since I have cut out a lot of meat in my diet and therefore have to supplement with lots of protein. To those of you who eat mostly veggies any hints on what to eat during the winter months?

3 comments:

  1. Carrots. Potatoes. Applesauce. Kale/Chard. I think Brynn really knows more than I do about this.

    I am getting my first delivery of Boston Organics on Friday, so I can let you know what is in there -- it will all from New England, except for the bananas and oranges I added on. Bananas are for my kids and the oranges will be juice and zest for my cranberry almond bread.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I second the kale and chard! Last year was the Local Food Project garden's first season with a hoophouse for winter growing and kale was pretty much the only thing ready to eat...I ended up cooking kale so many ways it was ridiculous. We probably had it three or four nights a week!

    I would also look for winter squashes and sweet potatoes, apples and cider--stuff that stores well. Alex probably has some ideas to add, too.

    But we are almost upon spring greens season and that's a reason to celebrate!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Meghan, it sounds like your products are made in those places -- but do you know where the ingredients actually come from? Hummus is typically made from chick peas and tahini (sesame), which are probably not from NH... Same with the peanut butter--probably not a lot of peanuts grown in Lawrence, MA!

    ReplyDelete