Wednesday, March 24, 2010

changing behavior one person at a time

I think when we look at our individual behavior and try and change it, it is impossible to ignore the behavior of those around you. Sort of joking, sort of serious, I told my boyfriend he owed me a dollar every time he brought home a plastic bag. Here’s the thing. After surgery I could not do anything for myself. It’s bad enough that I am texting him at work begging to bring home lime popicles or something else. I have it good, if I needed something for dinner, a missing ingredient Seth will always pick it up on his way home from work. How then can I turn around and bitch at him for getting parsley, putting that in a bag, and then taking a plastic bag. It’s hard, I can shoot glances at him, but really he’s trying. I made $4 on the, you owe me a dollar everytime you bring home a bag. But honestly when I first got out of the hospital, and was sick, I was so happy to have those extra plastic bags lying around the house, trust me, you don’t want to throw up in a paper bag. So in situations like that the plastic bags were my BFF. I threatened to blog about him and how bad his habits were. It’s hard to try and change your lifestyle when your boyfriend/girlfriend/partner/husband/wife/kids, don’t want to change, or understand that you are trying to change for more than just an assignment for school, but because it will benefit all. Just when I thought I was beating a dead horse, the other day he came home and said he had a present for me. I was super excited, what could it be? It was a stack of about 15 plastic sandwich bags that he had brought his snacks to work in and did not throw out. Maybe I am making some headway! Granted 3 of them were so gross, they could not be re-used, but baby steps, right. Good job Seth for trying to change your wasteful behavior.

1 comment:

  1. Yes! I know the feeling, Liz. Sometimes it's hard to convey the idea that it's not just a "school assignment" but a genuine interest in changing habits. Greg has been pretty good, but I'm sure he's sick of my constant reminders not to get bags and throw stuff away. But I had an ah-ha moment like you with Seth. I overheard Greg talking to his mom on the phone, saying how much more rewarding it is to shop at the farmer's market than at the grocery store because you can meet the people who grow your food, know where it comes from, and have a satisfying experience finding good stuff to eat. I was beaming from ear to ear!

    ReplyDelete