Monday, March 15, 2010

Buckets of Rain


The rain has inhibited my ventures into the out of doors.  I traveled to Brooklyn this weekend through torrential downpour, in hopes of having a small mental vacation.  We were in, possibly, a city with the best public transit system in the country, but found ourselves consistently searching for parking along the busy streets.  Perhaps the excuse was that the public transportation within a borough is not adequate; or the torrential rain would soak through our nonexistent rain coats and poorly chosen shoes; or perhaps, we have just been spoiled by the willingness of our peer to drive us around the city.  Although our excursions were not done in a sustainable way, we made an effort to be conscious of our food consumption in support of local urban economy.  

I have noticed that I make a conscious effort to consume in a sustainable manner, and that I know what is manageable.  Although it is a small matter, I was rather proud of myself for spending a good part of the day out of my apartment yesterday, even through the rain.  I had a vanilla chai and a hot chocolate over the course of two hours.  I consciously asked for both items to be "for here" and not "for here" in paper cups.  I looked around the café, 1369 Coffee House, and noticed several people sitting in for their beverages but drinking out of paper cups.  I was a little disheartened to see a pretty enviro-conscious coffee place not pushing their patrons who dine/drink-in to use glasses and mugs, as opposed to the very disposable paper cups.  

1 comment:

  1. Awesome photos, Mel! It's weird when you see people who you assume to be at least moderately eco-conscious doing stuff that has an obvious (and usually easy) alternative. At the school I was at yesterday, a teacher was drinking a coke in the computer lab (isn't that a no-no anyway?) and she was young and stylishly dressed so when she walked out and plunked her soda can down in the regular trash can I was shocked frozen. How can people just do that! I thought, especially young people who have probably been learning about recycling since they were 5.

    ReplyDelete