Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Jerusalem Artichokes

Neither an artichoke nor from Jerusalem, this tuber is delicious! (Apparently they were named both for the Italian word for sunflower as well as during a time of religious revival in the U.S.) I signed up for Boston Organic's Dogma Box (filled with local organic food instead of far-traveling food, and got all sorts of things I don't usually eat, like Jerusalem artichokes, which we sliced thin, mixed with thin slices of potatoes and coated in olive oil, thyme, salt and pepper and then baked. Yum! The Jerusalem artichokes had a delicious, nutty flavor and were outrageously filling.

As for the packaging, A+, Boston Organics! They use one large plastic bin, which you leave downstairs for them to pick up the following week. The only real criticism is that the food is mostly being delivered by truck (although they are transitioning into bike delivery, which is really cool), but considering that we usually take out a Zip Car to do grocery shopping in (yeah, I know), I think this is way better, because they're using the one truck to deliver multiple boxes to our building.

I'm looking forward to this week's box (it'll be delivered sometime today), because there are going to be some beets and other root vegetables, and I am going to make roasted vegetable pizza. I like the Dogma box so far, mostly because it's exciting to try out different recipes and vegetables I've never had before!

5 comments:

  1. That's pretty awesome. I wish there was a dogma box service here! We have a lot of local food, but you have to go to them. For lazy people (like me) it would make eating local much easier...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alex-- I just signed up to get a twice a month 1/2 + 1/2 delivery. I am going to surprise Jacob (the bf)! Thanks for the tip....

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's pretty cool, and honestly not as expensive as I had thought. Have you had anything come in the box that you hated? This satisfies your assignment of trying something new too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Alex:
    I just signed up for a Dogma box, too! How do you add on produce to the delivery? I'd love to get some more stuff delivered every other week with my box. I am so glad they come to Medford.

    I hope you get something fun for showing up as my reference.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My partner and I get a veg and fruit box delivered every week as well. I love the surprise of ingredients every Tuesday. It's all organic, which means that the price might seem slightly expensive to some people. What's amazing though is that we never buy processed foods anymore. Almost everything we cook consists of fresh ingredients. So while the box is more expensive than perhaps shopping in a grocery store, our overall expense on food has gone down quite a bit.

    ReplyDelete