Thursday, March 25, 2010

Behaving Badly

Do you behave differently away from home?

I just got back from Florida which made me realize how challenging it is to be sustainable while traveling.

At home, I use towels for a week. In the hotel, I found myself using several per day—tossing hand towels frivolously in the corner and using bath towels as a bathmat runway. I drank from the plastic cups and tossed them, opened all the toiletries, left the air conditioning running, and took extra long, extra hot showers.

Staying at a hotel was a no-holds barred excuse to behave badly and now that I’m back home, I am feeling rather guilty.

If I was a steadfast environmentalist, here’s how my stay should have gone:

-Notify the hotel that it is not necessary to change sheets and towels

-Turn off A/C, lights and unplug everything upon leaving

-Leave the little bottles of amenities unopened and use your own

-Write names on cups

-Ask for an e-bill upon checkout

So, for me, reform is just reminding myself to travel as I live.

1 comment:

  1. I was in VT for 3 days at the beginning of the week and I noticed the same thing! I used all the plastic cups, opened the soap, which was replaced daily, etc. I turned the heat up to 75. Really 75? I would have been fine at 65, but for some reason I cranked it up. I did not realize how bad I was being until we went to leave the room and my boyfriend told me I was leaving the light on and when we are at home I yell at him all the time for leaving lights on in rooms we are not in. It's interesting how when we are not at home our behaviors shift.

    ReplyDelete