Monday, March 8, 2010

Consciousness...

Since our last meeting as a class, I have been thinking about the choices I make regarding my food and my resistance to trying something new.  Although I know what I should be eating and that I should be trying new ways of being a more sustainable community member, I find myself still resisting change.  

I find myself more apt to support local businesses rather than worrying if the food or products themselves come from a local source.  By local businesses, I do mean local restaurants.  I stay away from chain restaurants, and I have slipped a few times with the high fructose corn syrup... I do however now read the label much more often.
Did you know that the 1/2% chocolate milk made by Hood (local bee-tee-dubs) has HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP?!?!?!?!?!?!?! Public schools ban vending machines in Massachusetts... No more soda... They thought they were eliminating the levels of high fructose corn syrup... Think again Massachusetts... Major fail. 



 

2 comments:

  1. No kidding...why would there *ever* be corn in milk??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mel, why do you think you are resisting changing your behaviors? Is it a reaction to in some ways "being told what to do?" Or is it something else? Looking deeply at your resistance to change may help you better understand how you can work with others (e.g. your students) to change their behaviors.

    ReplyDelete