Sunday, March 7, 2010

Hey all,

The post from March 6th was supposed to be for Dawn's blog, but I guess it works for this one too, kinda, not really...

What I intended on blogging about was my confession. I have all but failed on reducing the use of plastic! Whether it is forgetting to use my personal grocery bag instead of allowing my groceries to be bagged, or realizing something was expired on the date and throwing it out. Not that it is sustainable to eat food that is old, but that I obviously bought more food than necessary if it is still there to spoil. And with all the local food that I have been enjoying, much of it is wrapped in seemingly needless plastic.
It becomes difficult to live conveniently and be sustainable. My hometown is sprawled out, with a lack luster public transit system; completely paving the way (no pun intended) for constant personal auto use. Walking to and from the grocery store in many places is like a bad joke. It is
I do have a recycling bin, and as part of my confession, I am lazy about it. If I am in a hurry, I don't separate things, or just toss everything in the trash. It is a bad habit that I am working on...
On a good note, I intend on growing veggies and continuing to eat Kentucky grown products!

2 comments:

  1. I think you're doing great, Jeff. And you get brownie points for fessing up to the bad stuff. It's easy for me to post about the fabulous world-saving actions I'm taking...and handily forget to mention the styrofoam box for Chinese food leftovers and the plastic bag for three tubs of Ben & Jerry's. Oops.

    I did just plant my balcony salad bar in pots so I feel a little better :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this post is really important, Jeff, because it is sooooo crucial that we don't ever shame ourselves for not always taking the most sustainable path. Let's face it. We live in a world and culture that encourages us to consume and most often follow the LEAST sustainable path. Therefore, we need to be gentle on ourselves when we can't always do the right thing. That said, it's also good to acknowledge our challenges and reflect on them to maybe do differently next time. As Brynn said, you're doing great! Don't forget that!

    ReplyDelete