Friday, April 2, 2010

Personal approach to energy audit


For me when I think of energy audit, I think of going around my home and looking for drafts and whatnot. But when I thought about it more, I can't fix the drafts. My landlords don't care if the house is cold, they don't pay for the heat. I swear there is no insulation at all in my house, in the kitchen when I take a pan from the cupboard there may be frost on it. It's cold in my old drafty house.

So I am sort of looking at this project in the way we did with the food packaging. Where do I personally use excess energy in my life, in the things I can control. My biggest weakness is heat, ie. forced hot air, and the fireplace. Now this is not my fireplace, but the family that I babysit for fireplace. It turns on with a switch on the wall, easy... I am looking at my own behavior and looking where I am being wasteful with energy. Do I really need to sit in front of the fire when its 65 degrees out? Probably not, so once I can identify all of my energy consuming behaviors I can begin to adapt accordingly.

No comments:

Post a Comment