Wednesday, April 21, 2010

HE STOLE MY GIG

I am so angry. I am stomping around. I am agitated. Ugh. I could scream.

You know who I'm mad at?

This guy:











His name is Josh. Josh Dorfman. And he stole my idea, darn it. He is the new host of a reality television show called Lazy Environmentalist on the Sundance Channel.

I am so upset because I AM THE LAZY ENVIRONMENTALIST....NOT HIM! He speaks like me. Literally, I think I said this last night at the dinner table:

"You can guilt-trip me and you can moralize and you can gloom-and-doom about it, but there are probably certain behaviors I have that I'm just not going to change. But if you presented me with solutions ... if we can figure out ways to reduce my impact -- that I can afford -- great! I'm going to do them ... I don't necessarily think that's a good thing, but I think that this is the reality and there are probably hundreds of millions of Americans who feel like I do. I'm a lazy environmentalist." --Josh Dorfman

Frankly, I am feeling like the ultimate lazy environmentalist lately. And all this talk about Earth Day is exasperating the situation. I am over pretending that I'm into tracking my energy consumption.

So, in honor of my new frenemy, Josh, here are some of my tips on how to be a lazy environmentalist:


1. Plan a Staycation
Forgoing a single international trip might offset all the carbon dioxide you produce through your home and car during the entire year.


2. Call In Sick
Telecommuting is the newest way to save energy. Stay home from work today, avoid mass transit or driving, and join the trend: today more than 4 million workers telecommute most days, and nearly 20 million Americans work from home at least once a month.


3. Give Your Laptop a Nap
We all do it, because it's so much easier to have the computer up-and-running when we want it...but by putting your computer to sleep when you're not using it, can save about 500 pounds of carbon dioxide every year.


4. Glug Some H2O
I am the bottled water queen, so this one is a bit hypocritical, but they say if you can replace just two store-bought bottles of water every week with tap water from the faucet can mean 500 fewer pounds of CO2 emissions over a year.


5. Stay Together
Move in with your partner, or, stay married. Converting one household into two means bigger utility bills and, therefore, more greenhouse gases. By living together, and staying together, you're actually helping the planet.


Happy Earth Day! XOXO
The Lazy Environmentalist II

2 comments:

  1. This is great! Love the quote--this is definitely the way things are going to have to turn. I think people just don't have enough time/resources/room in their brains to do all the things they do *and* be eco-nerds like we are this semester. :-) People can definitely change, but it has to methodical and widespread and second nature.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Staycation is a great idea! I was thinking about traveling abroad this summer, but maybe not....

    ReplyDelete